Morale represents troop stack's willingness to fight. High morale can allow creatures to receive an extra attack during combat round, while low morale can cause them to freeze and lose the turn. Good morale is received after the troop stack has acted, which means that the creatures will have a chance to act again immediately. Bad morale happens at the very beginning of creature stack's turn, and causes them to "freeze in panic".
The morale value of a creature stack can vary from -3 to +3. The game manual incorrectly states, that the probability for receiving moral (good or bad) is 1/24 (4.17 %) times morale value. This would mean that it is equally probable to receive good or bad morale. This however, is not correct. The correct probabilities can be seen from the table on the right. As it shows, it is more probable to receive bad morale than good morale. The troop stack's morale value is mainly affected by army's (effectively hero's) morale rating. ach army has a morale rating which acts as a bonus to the individual morale of its troops.
Undead creatures and elementals have a morale of zero, independent of their army’s morale rating.
Base morale is what you get from having an army composed of units from certain towns. You get lower base morale the more towns you have units from in your army (Neutral counts as a town)- You start off at +1, and get -1 for each new alignment you add.(So if you have creatures from 3 town types, you have -1 as base morale). Bonuses for having Archangels and/or Undead are not counted here.
- The Leadership secondary skill
- All creatures fighting in hero's army are from the same town type
- Numerous Artifacts (Crest of Valor, Glyph of Gallantry, Badge of Courage, Pendant of Courage, Still Eye of the Dragon).
- Archangels in your army.
- Numerous Adventure Map objects (Fountain of Youth, Temple, Oasis, Watering Hole, Buoy, Events)
- Good troops fighting on Holy Ground and Evil troops fighting in Evil Fog.
- Defending in Siege battles (Tavern bestows your troops +1 Morale. Brotherhood of the Sword gives +2).
Gives bad morale
- Multiple units of different alignments and Undead units in your army.
- Fighting Bone Dragons or Ghost Dragons.
- Good troops fighting in Evil Fog or Evil troops fighting on Holy Ground.
- Spirit of Oppression (It negates Good morale, anyway)
- Visiting shipwrecks, crypts etc. where the guardians have already been defeated.
Creatures with morale effect